Pedal Power X4 Linear or switching ?

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
Mister Bill

Pedal Power X4 Linear or switching ?

Post by Mister Bill »

I am unable to decipher the cryptic marketing speak for the X4. What exactly is a hybrid transformer with exotic components? Is this linear, switching, a combination of the two, or something completely different? Is this power supply all analog circuitry? Thanks for any information you may be able to share.

JohnClark

Re: Pedal Power X4 Linear or switching ?

Post by JohnClark »

Linear or Switching? ...well, its a Hybrid ;)

The DC transformer generates DC directly rather than pulses from typical SMPS. This allows filtering noise to much lower levels. It’s followed by multiple poles of analog filters and linear regulation. Expensive filter components like high density ceramic and organic polymer caps make very high performance filters. These features are all unique to Voodoo Lab.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Mister Bill

Post by Mister Bill »

I purchased the X4 and it is indeed quiet. Thanks for the info.

tokimasa

Post by tokimasa »

Interesting. Is there any possibility of a "Pedal Power X8" or something similar? i.e. 2000 mA total over 8 outputs? I like that you don't have to worry about which output to use for power hogs like the EQD Avalanche Run. I know that the 4x4 would work, but it is a little nicer to just plug in a bunch of pedals and only have to worry about the total current draw.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

tokimasa wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:03 am
Interesting. Is there any possibility of a "Pedal Power X8" or something similar? i.e. 2000 mA total over 8 outputs? I like that you don't have to worry about which output to use for power hogs like the EQD Avalanche Run. I know that the 4x4 would work, but it is a little nicer to just plug in a bunch of pedals and only have to worry about the total current draw.
Great Idea!

We showed off our prototype X8 at the NAMM show in January ;)

2A Capacity, eight 9V Outputs, with any output conservatively rated for up to 500mA!

Before the world's Electronic Components supply chains went crazy, we were poised to launch this in May. But now, until things settle down a little, all I can say for sure is that isn't going to happen :(
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------