Control more than Amp Channels

Exchange tips and tricks to help you design the ultimate pedalboard.
deweime

Control more than Amp Channels

Post by deweime »

Hello Everyone,

Is it possible to control more than the channel switching features of an amp?
For example the Genz-Benz TS-60 has a custom foot controller for different options as well as a lot of Mesa Amps.

RJM seems to approach this with a custom cable so these other features can be switched on and off.

Is this possible with the various voodoo lab products?

Best Regards,
Dan

James Santiago

Re: Control more than Amp Channels

Post by James Santiago »

Dan, you can control many things like reverb, boost, and FX loops and other functions via the GCX. The loops of a GCX can be used for audio, but are also isolated from each other so they can be used as switches.

In this example, you can see the Mesa head has 4 different functions. Here's how it looks when using a GCX to change them:

http://voodoolab.com/gcxdiagrams/05-Ped ... tching.pdf

Also, we'll be coming out with a product called the Control Switcher so you can do JUST this type of stuff without sacrificing the audio loops of your GCX.
http://voodoolab.com/controlswitcher.htm

The custom cables come into play when you have an amp that has say a 5-din connector instead of separate jacks. Control Switcher has a multi-pin out just for this type of application. The specific wiring for the cable is different for specific amps.

Hope this clears it up a bit!
James Santiago
Vice President - Voodoo Lab

Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Sweet! A Lab Gizmo ;-). When is that coming out?

You guys are really coming out with some cool stuff... keep it up!

James Santiago

Post by James Santiago »

Well, we're in the final stage of beta testing now. I'll post a note, and send you a PM as soon as we have units available.

Thanks!
James Santiago

Brad

Post by Brad »

I'm using a Mesa boogie Roadster Head, and a BOSS GT-10 Guitar Effecs processor that I want to use with the Amplifier Effect loop (series effect loop) . Now if I understand corectly I would need to have 1 'Control Switcher' + 1 'Commander' to select 1 of the 4 Cahnnels of the amp and select a Patch from the GT-10 simultaneously... Right ? or do I need something else ?

Ideally I would like to have a foot controler that could control my amp and my Effects processor simultaneously, My amp has 4 channels switch+ a solo switch & and tuner/mute switch so a total of 6 jacks or Cables for the amp, and I would need a controler to command the Effect processor through midi ... i guess

I read that there will be a multi pin output on the control switcher ?? is there more picture of this product ?

Thanks

Brad

Brad

Post by Brad »

I have no experience with midi.. but I was wondering if I could use my BOSS GT-10 to control the 'Control switcher' this way I could use the GT-10 effect in the effect loop of my amp and the Control Switcher would switch the channels of my Meas Boogie Roadster for a specific patch that I want... to use, ... right ?

Thanks

Brad

James Santiago

Post by James Santiago »

Brad, there's a lot going on here. To start, a Control Switcher can do up to 4 functions. The multi-pin out is the same 4 functions, but on a DIN connector for amps that use that style connector instead of normal 1/4-inch footswitch jacks.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Boss GT-10, but since it is a floor controller-style effect processor, I'm sure it can send out a "program change" from its MIDI out. All the means is that when you stomp on preset 1, it also sends out that numbered preset over MIDI to call up the same thing on another unit, via that units MIDI in. As spec'd right now, Control Switcher can respond to simple "program changes" from its MIDI in. So, as long as your version of the Boss unit can send that info, which you might have to enable in your unit, you should be just fine.
James Santiago