expression pedal and whammy

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Manhell

expression pedal and whammy

Post by Manhell »

Hi there, I got the gcx gcp combo and a ernieball 25k volume pedal that I use for volume via gcp (controlling the volume on the g major) my whammy is connected with midi also so I try to use the expression pedal via midi to have the sweep on the whammy remotely. but It doesn't feel like the whammy, the change is too big and sudden. what can I do to fix this?

thanks

maddface

Re: expression pedal and whammy

Post by maddface »

there is a very small switch inside the volume pedal. Just put the volume pedal to zero, under the footpad near the string is the switch. Flip the switch and it will change the volume curve to a slower rate.

arizona guitarist

Post by arizona guitarist »

maddface wrote:there is a very small switch inside the volume pedal. Just put the volume pedal to zero, under the footpad near the string is the switch. Flip the switch and it will change the volume curve to a slower rate.
I have the 25K pedal and I am pretty sure there is no taper switch on it. Its only the 250k pedals.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Unfortunately the Whammy does not allow you to edit the taper when controlling the treadle movement via MIDI. In this case you require two unique taper settings, even if your pedal had a taper switch, the setting that made the Whammy feel right would likely make the volume control feel wrong.
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Manhell

Post by Manhell »

that's true john, actualy I found one thing in the gcp, I was connecting the pedal with the y cable but the cable didn't tell if the tip was the red or the black ending so I thought that I was wiring it right because the volume was working properly but when I did the "test" with the pedal and the gcp the values sometimes went strange like they jumped from 103 to 94 then I switch the cables and the values became right, and the whammy started to work fine but then the volume just don't work anymore it just goes from quiet to lound without the sweep. whta should I do?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

The G-Major will allow you to program the sweep for the volume. They call this Modifier Response Curve. If the sweep of the pedal now feels right for the Whammy, then go into the settings for the G-Major and change the sweep for the volume. This will likely solve the current volume problem and yield the correct feel for both uses.

Let us know how it goes!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------