Help building my setup

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
euterpe

Help building my setup

Post by euterpe »

Hi everybody!! I'm trying to figure out what is the smartest way to configure my recording set up. Please take into account that I just record with it, I don't do any live gig with this set up.

My gear is:
GCX Switcher
Ground Control
Rocktron Preamp Prophesy V2
Randall RM4 running 4 Modules
Mesaboogie Recto Recording Preamp
Line 6 M13
Eventide Eclipse V4
Eventide TImefactor
BBE Stereo Rack Unit
Rocktron HUSH

My main goal is to have a mono/stereo line cable to feed Pro Tools (that's why the mesa boogie and the randall stuff)

My doubts are:

1-. Where should I put the M13 (signal path)? Since it has pre pedals (comps, distortion, tremolo, vibrato, etc) and at the same time it has post pedals like reverbs and stereo delays?

2-. The same question with the rocktron prohesy.

3-. Where should I put the HUSH?

4-. How should I use the Loops?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

JohnClark

Re: Help building my setup

Post by JohnClark »

Using the GCX will not necessarily change the way you prefer to route your gear. The GCXs primary task is to simply remove the gear from the signal path when not currently in use. Is this an existing recording rig that is now going to be controlled via a switching system? Does the feed into Pro Tools need to be before the amplifiers for re-amping or do you want to record the amplifiers as well?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

euterpe

Post by euterpe »

JohnClark wrote:Using the GCX will not necessarily change the way you prefer to route your gear. The GCXs primary task is to simply remove the gear from the signal path when not currently in use. Is this an existing recording rig that is now going to be controlled via a switching system? Does the feed into Pro Tools need to be before the amplifiers for re-amping or do you want to record the amplifiers as well?
Thank you for your answer!!!

1-. This is a brand new setup.

2-. I'd like to feed PT before the amps.

Thanks in advance!!!

James Santiago

Post by James Santiago »

euterpe wrote:
JohnClark wrote:Using the GCX will not necessarily change the way you prefer to route your gear. The GCXs primary task is to simply remove the gear from the signal path when not currently in use. Is this an existing recording rig that is now going to be controlled via a switching system? Does the feed into Pro Tools need to be before the amplifiers for re-amping or do you want to record the amplifiers as well?
Thank you for your answer!!!

1-. This is a brand new setup.

2-. I'd like to feed PT before the amps.

Thanks in advance!!!
Euterpe,

Your best bet is to post your question in the recording forum of Huge Racks. Mr. Clark has explained that GCX's don't normally deal with routing Pro Tools audio signals in guitar rigs. You theoretically can do that, but you are also bringing in latency issues, and all sorts of line/instrument and XRL input gain issues with your specific Digidesign interface.

This forum specifically deals with what you are experimenting with.

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewf ... 9b1c256486

Mr. Clark can suggest a good working signal path that you can either send to a couple of guitar amps, a stereo power amp/cabs, or CH1 and CH2 of any type of recording interface. Anything different than that, give the above link a try.

JS
James Santiago
Vice President - Voodoo Lab

euterpe

Post by euterpe »

Thank you James!!!