Several questions and a possible setup

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Zeff

Several questions and a possible setup

Post by Zeff »

First, can the GCX be controlled by the commander? Probably a simple answer but I can't search for gcx on here, it gets ignored.

What I want to do-
I have a Carvin V3 that can be midi controlled for channels/boost/loops. I only run three pedals and I want a way to have those pedals run in front of the amp, but turn off for specific amp channels (turn off tubescreamer for cleans) while having all of that stuff stay in my rack and have 1 pedalboard to control it all. Both the pedal switcher/commander and the gcx/ground control pro will do what I want but I like the rackmount of the gcx and the slim pedal design of the commander.

This is what I've got in my rack -
x2 wireless
Sabine rack tuner

pedals also in rack -
noisegate
tubescreamer
chorus
----
The V3 has 3 channels that I've set up like this
#1 rhythm
#2 lead
#3 clean

I want to setup my rig like this with a midi pedal

#1 has noisegate and tubescreamer channel 1 on amp
#2 has noisegate and tubescreamer channel 2 on amp
#3 has noisegate, tubescreamer, and chorus, channel 2 on amp
#4 has no pedals on channel 3
#5 has chorus and channel 3
#6 tuner without running to the amp.

I believe this is possible with both the gcx or the pedal switcher. Any help will be appreciated.

vibratoking

Re: Several questions and a possible setup

Post by vibratoking »

Probably a simple answer but I can't search for gcx on here, it gets ignored.
Yea, the search capbilities are sad. I ran into the same problem. I use google site search to search this forum. It works well. Here is an example that I would use to search for posts about an expression pedal:

site:voodoolab.com expression pedal

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Zeff wrote:First, can the GCX be controlled by the commander? Probably a simple answer but I can't search for gcx on here, it gets ignored.

What I want to do-
I have a Carvin V3 that can be midi controlled for channels/boost/loops. I only run three pedals and I want a way to have those pedals run in front of the amp, but turn off for specific amp channels (turn off tubescreamer for cleans) while having all of that stuff stay in my rack and have 1 pedalboard to control it all. Both the pedal switcher/commander and the gcx/ground control pro will do what I want but I like the rackmount of the gcx and the slim pedal design of the commander.

This is what I've got in my rack -
x2 wireless
Sabine rack tuner

pedals also in rack -
noisegate
tubescreamer
chorus
----
The V3 has 3 channels that I've set up like this
#1 rhythm
#2 lead
#3 clean

I want to setup my rig like this with a midi pedal

#1 has noisegate and tubescreamer channel 1 on amp
#2 has noisegate and tubescreamer channel 2 on amp
#3 has noisegate, tubescreamer, and chorus, channel 2 on amp
#4 has no pedals on channel 3
#5 has chorus and channel 3
#6 tuner without running to the amp.

I believe this is possible with both the gcx or the pedal switcher. Any help will be appreciated.
The Commander will not control a GCX. But with a Commander and a Pedal Switcher you could get the control you describe.

Good Luck!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Zeff

Post by Zeff »

JohnClark wrote:
The Commander will not control a GCX. But with a Commander and a Pedal Switcher you could get the control you describe.

Good Luck!

Ok good to know... The GCX manual says it can be controlled by other midi pedals, just make sure the pedal wiring is set up properly. There is a store locally that has a used GCX and I was hoping to go that route.

SO...

The GCX will only provide power to a Ground Control?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

The GCX Pedal In will provide Phantom Power across pins 1 and 3. The GCX responds to Control Change messages 80-87 on MIDI channel 16. The GCX has no preset memory so the controller mus be capable of sending eight Control Change messages at once for preset style control of the GCX Loops.

Zeff

Post by Zeff »

JohnClark wrote:The GCX Pedal In will provide Phantom Power across pins 1 and 3. The GCX responds to Control Change messages 80-87 on MIDI channel 16. The GCX has no preset memory so the controller mus be capable of sending eight Control Change messages at once for preset style control of the GCX Loops.
Ok, that is getting too complicated.. I think I will go the commander/pedal switcher route. From what I can tell from watching setup vids... if I go through setting my patches with the pedal switcher and commander I just need to run a midi cable back to the V3 and while I am setting my pedal patches I need to simultaneously do the V3 channels as depicted here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoQIpv178Q0

This should work correct?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Zeff wrote:
JohnClark wrote:The GCX Pedal In will provide Phantom Power across pins 1 and 3. The GCX responds to Control Change messages 80-87 on MIDI channel 16. The GCX has no preset memory so the controller mus be capable of sending eight Control Change messages at once for preset style control of the GCX Loops.
Ok, that is getting too complicated.. I think I will go the commander/pedal switcher route. From what I can tell from watching setup vids... if I go through setting my patches with the pedal switcher and commander I just need to run a midi cable back to the V3 and while I am setting my pedal patches I need to simultaneously do the V3 channels as depicted here.

Commander presets 1-10 will send MIDI Program Changes 1-10 on MIDI Channel 1. If you follow the Carvin programming video you will be able to sync the amp channels with your Commander presets.

Zeff

Post by Zeff »

JohnClark wrote:
Zeff wrote:

Commander presets 1-10 will send MIDI Program Changes 1-10 on MIDI Channel 1. If you follow the Carvin programming video you will be able to sync the amp channels with your Commander presets.
Ok Sweet, thanks