Question about GCX buffered Gutiar In/Out...

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
simspace

Question about GCX buffered Gutiar In/Out...

Post by simspace »

I just picked up a pre-owned GCX and GCP and I have a question about GCX buffered Gutiar In/Out...

When I use the GCX passive connection on the front and back panels direct to the amp, I hear my guitar.

When I use the buffered connection (guitar in/out) direct to the amp, I get no signal at all.

I've tried straight to the amp, through a loop, with the GCP connected and disconnected and still no signal.

I've read and re-read the manuals and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. You have any ideas?

Thanks!
Chris
Chris (Fake Edge) Simeone
UZoo - The Unforgettable U2 Tribute Band
http://u2act.com

unix-guy

Re: Question about GCX buffered Gutiar In/Out...

Post by unix-guy »

Funny, I just had the same exact scenario about 2 weeks ago. I wrote in to Voodoo Lab tech support and was told I needed to send the unit in for repair: $35 + parts + shipping both ways...

I opted to just use the passive connections :)

Kevin
Gear List:

'87/'88 Ibanez Sabre's (7), '86 Ibanez PL1770, Budda SuperDrive 18, George L's Cables, Barber Direct Drive (best $99 ever spent!), Rodenberg GAS-828, Nobels ODR-1, Morley Bad Horsie II, TC Electronic G-Major II, Ground Control Pro and GCX...

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

You can check that the buffer's op-amp is seated properly in its socket, or check for any loose connections on the front panel jacks. But basically it sounds as if you bought a broken GCX. A dead buffer is not at all a common occurrence, which is why we would rather just see it for ourselves… we can get it fixed correctly the first time.

New gear comes with a warranty; Used gear comes with Vegas odds…
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

unix-guy

Post by unix-guy »

Is the op-amp easily identified on the PCB?

Thanks,

Kevin
Gear List:

'87/'88 Ibanez Sabre's (7), '86 Ibanez PL1770, Budda SuperDrive 18, George L's Cables, Barber Direct Drive (best $99 ever spent!), Rodenberg GAS-828, Nobels ODR-1, Morley Bad Horsie II, TC Electronic G-Major II, Ground Control Pro and GCX...

simspace

Post by simspace »

K. Thanks for the reply John!
Chris (Fake Edge) Simeone
UZoo - The Unforgettable U2 Tribute Band
http://u2act.com

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

The op-amp is located on the PRE/PWR board, directly behind the front panel jacks... you can't miss it. Older units may have the op-amp soldered directly to the board.
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------