GC/GCPro: Sending expression pedal data on preset change

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
hairguitar

GC/GCPro: Sending expression pedal data on preset change

Post by hairguitar »

Hi,

I've run into an issue recently whereby when I switch presets the MIDI state (usually 0) of my expression pedal doesn't get transmitted with the preset (my FX unit sees it as the max value; 128 I think).

Note that both units talk fine & dandy to my FX box with the expression pedal otherwise.

My workaround is to either:

a.) Dance on the GC preset button twice or
b.) Dance on the expression pedal

neither of which is very pretty.

I have an old DMC Ground Control (which still rocks), and just bought a new GC Pro as backup. I am seeing this with both units using an Ernie Ball VP (both JR & regular [250k]) with the appropriate cables (insert cable for the GC Pro, standard 1/4" mono for the GC).

Any insight deeply appreciated; thanks very much!

JohnClark

Re: GC/GCPro: Sending expression pedal data on preset change

Post by JohnClark »

Ah-Ha! this makes more sense now...

The Ground Control Pro does not send the pedal information upon loading a new preset. This is the default condition because typically, the pedals are programmed to perform different tasks per preset... you wouldn't necessarily want to load a preset that sets your volume to whatever position you last had your Whammy set at.

We do have a custom chip for the Ground Control Pro that will set the pedals to both transmit their current position upon preset load. Give us a call or write to info@voodoolab.com if you are interested in getting one of these.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

hairguitar

Post by hairguitar »

Excellent! I've been in touch with Ben Resnick about this; I'll give him a shout. Any chance my original GC can be retrofitted?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

What software version is your original Ground Control?

hairguitar

Post by hairguitar »

It's v1.0, but it's a custom EPROM Josh burned to work with my antique CAE RL-8. You can find a manual here: http://goo.gl/g8UXH
Last edited by hairguitar on Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

The v2 software for the original Ground Control will transmit the expression pedal position with each preset but I suppose you would lose the RL-8 compatibility. Also, a v1.00 original Ground Control needs some circuit board mods in order to accept the v2 software.

What exactly do you use the RL-8 for these days? Always the same setup or is it part of an ever changing rig?

hairguitar

Post by hairguitar »

Hi John,

I bought the RL-8 for channel switching my Soldano X88R, and because it's a half rack space unit (if you guys made a half-rack GCX I'd have bought that instead). The rack configuration hasn't changed since I downsized from my 24-space 'fridge in the early 90's.

The old GC needs to go back to you guys for repair anyway (the P1 input is well, "jacked"); is there no way I can talk you into doing an RL-8 compatible mod?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

I suppose you could put a Control Switcher into a larger box if you must keep with the half rack size. ;)

hairguitar

Post by hairguitar »

JohnClark wrote:I suppose you could put a Control Switcher into a larger box if you must keep with the half rack size. ;)
Upsell! I thought you were a tech guy, not a salesman ;)

For as much money as Bob Bradshaw got out of me I'll keep using that RL-8 until either it goes or I do :P

If you guys outsource burning your chips now I totally get that. I'll stick with my antique custom one (it even scrolls my name when it fires up; woohoo!) & do the fancy dance. Meantime I pinged you guys regarding getting the new chip for my GC Pro.

Thanks for the info & snappy banter :)

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Heh... I can dig it!

Outsource prom burning? Why would we do that? Just about everything done here at Voodoo Lab is done in house. The real problem with editing code, particularly older code, is that those that can do it are busy with new product development that in most cases uses newer code language. If you will be sending in your original Ground Control for repair sometime then I'll see if we can make it happen but it might require a fine bottle of Tequila for proper motivation ;)