Best expression pedal for whammy?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
vibratoking

Re: Best expression pedal for whammy?

Post by vibratoking »

Are you connecting these pedals to the Ground Control Pro with an insert cable? This will have a TRS end that runs out to two mono ends. Do you se this same behavior with only one pedal connected at a time?
I am only using one pedal connected at a time. Both pedals show the 'bad' sweep behavior: 0-127 in about half of the full pedal sweep.
I am using an insert cable. I have swapped the mono ends with no difference in behavior.

vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Are you connecting these pedals to the Ground Control Pro with an insert cable? This will have a TRS end that runs out to two mono ends. Do you se this same behavior with only one pedal connected at a time?
Yes, I am using an insert cable. I see this behavior with only one pedal connected at a time.

Your explanation about the voltage being supplied and sampling the wiper is appreciated. Sometime this weekend, I will have to get out a DMM and look at the voltage behavior in order to understand what is going on. An obvious, but improbable possibility, is that both of my pots reach the end of their sweeps halfway through the pedal sweep. I doubt this, because I don't experience this behavior when I use them in the traditional way - as volume pots between guitar and amp.
Last edited by vibratoking on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

Can you try out a test with the VP Jr.?

1.Connect the TRS (stereo) end of your Insert Cable to the Pedal 1 port on the Ground Control Pro.
2. connect the Ring end of the Insert Cable to the VP Jr. In jack.
3. Connect the Tip end of the Insert Cable to the VP Jr. Out jack.
4. Flip the taper switch under the toe end of the treadle to the up position.
5. Go to any Ground Control Pro preset and loop at the P1 screen while sweeping the pedal... do you see a relatively even sweep from end to end?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Can you try out a test with the VP Jr.?

1.Connect the TRS (stereo) end of your Insert Cable to the Pedal 1 port on the Ground Control Pro.
2. connect the Ring end of the Insert Cable to the VP Jr. In jack.
3. Connect the Tip end of the Insert Cable to the VP Jr. Out jack.
4. Flip the taper switch under the toe end of the treadle to the up position.
5. Go to any Ground Control Pro preset and loop at the P1 screen while sweeping the pedal... do you see a relatively even sweep from end to end?
I have done this. The result is 0-127 from heal down to about halfway to toe down. The display is basically stuck at 127 for the final half of the pedal sweep.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

...and if you swap the In and Out connection on the VP Jr. what happens? If the same behavior is noted, can you test with a different Insert Cable?

vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

...and if you swap the In and Out connection on the VP Jr. what happens? If the same behavior is noted, can you test with a different Insert Cable?
If i swap In and Out, I get the same behavior. I will try with a different cable this weekend.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark »

I have a VP Jr. connected to a Ground Control Pro right here in front of me. The only way I can get the behavior you describe is with the connections reversed or with the taper switch on the JP Jr. switched to the down position. With the connections and settings as described above, it operates as expected.

We will get you up and running!