N.O. contacts for latching switch in a GCX?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
The Blue Letter

N.O. contacts for latching switch in a GCX?

Post by The Blue Letter »

I was just wondering if the N.O. contacts in the GCX's relays are totally passive, or if there is any voltage that is applied at all when using the N.O. (out) jack for a latching switch? And maybe this is totally unrealistic/impossible to do, but is it possible to apply any sort of low voltage to them?

What I am hoping to accomplish is to use the N.O. contacts of the GCX as a latching switch to close the coil of another relay (like a cube relay or something). That relay would have a low voltage coil, but would have 120v rated contacts. I want to hook up a strobe light to the N.O contacts of that relay so that when the N.O. (out) jack on the GCX closes it would close the coil on the other relay, turning on the strobe light.

whew, hopefully that all makes sense. So I am not sure if any of this is possible, and if there would be a way to do it without even applying any voltage to the GCX N.O. contacts...but I was just hoping that someone might be able to shed a little info on the relays in the GCX and what their ratings are. I just definitely don't want to damage anything in there...

Thanks a lot.
Dan
loud, louder, loudest

JohnClark

Re: N.O. contacts for latching switch in a GCX?

Post by JohnClark »

The GCX loops are totally passive... always have been, always will be. The switching jacks are simply making or breaking the connection between the Tip and the Sleeve. Applying a low voltage across these contacts in order to switch something like a relay coil on and off is fine as this is precisely how most amplifier switch functions are configured. Good luck and take some pictures once this is all done!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

The Blue Letter

Re: N.O. contacts for latching switch in a GCX?

Post by The Blue Letter »

Ok so now I am stoked! But one last thing about that voltage... just to make sure I am following with you...does it matter if the voltage is A/C or D/C. I was thinking of using a relay that has coil rating of 3-32DCV. So from your last post, this should be fine? Thanks for your patience with my ignorance.
loud, louder, loudest