GCX Setup Diagram – Need Professional Guidance

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Yomko

GCX Setup Diagram – Need Professional Guidance

Post by Yomko »

I made a diagram of a rig setup I’m thinking about using in the near future but I have a few questions and want to make sure this will work right.

(picture is pretty large for forums)
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/8249/gcx.jpg

Loop Connection Questions:

1. Is the only way to include a pedalboard while using a rack wireless unit is by using the feedthru inputs on the front and rear of the GCX as in the diagram?

2. Should the noise gate be placed after the pedalboard effects (Wah, Volume, Tuner) as in the diagram or should the noise gate be placed before the pedalboard effects straight from the wireless unit?

3. Should the noise gate be placed after the Whammy pedal (on the rack shelf) as in the diagram or should the noise gate be placed ideally before the Whammy?

4. In the diagram I have the FX send (from amp) going into the noise gate FX loop and then into LOOP 3 of the GCX. I have the send from LOOP 3(GCX) going into the G Major 2 hoping that this will allow reverb and delay trails to continue after switching presets on the ground control. Will this setup do that?

Final question for now that I am curious about: Is it nessecary to have patch cables connecting all the unused Send & Returns on the GCX like I think I have seen in some pictures?

Sorry I know this is a big load of questions and stuff. I feel like I kind of know what I am doing(sort of lol) but I want to make sure I have cleared everything up and am designing a setup that will be really efficient and correct. Thanks for your help!

Jon Wilder

Re: GCX Setup Diagram – Need Professional Guidance

Post by Jon Wilder »

Yomko wrote: Loop Connection Questions:

1. Is the only way to include a pedalboard while using a rack wireless unit is by using the feedthru inputs on the front and rear of the GCX as in the diagram?
What you have drawn is the most convenient way since it places your pedal board interface into the GCX at the front of the rack.
Yomko wrote: 2. Should the noise gate be placed after the pedalboard effects (Wah, Volume, Tuner) as in the diagram or should the noise gate be placed before the pedalboard effects straight from the wireless unit?
The typical and most ideal place to insert the noise gate is post-preamp, which would be after the send jack in the amp's FX loop. However, a little more info is needed. Is this the Pro Rack G Decimator Noise Gate?
Yomko wrote: 3. Should the noise gate be placed after the Whammy pedal (on the rack shelf) as in the diagram or should the noise gate be placed ideally before the Whammy?
More info needed...see my question in the answer to your question #2.
Yomko wrote: 4. In the diagram I have the FX send (from amp) going into the noise gate FX loop and then into LOOP 3 of the GCX. I have the send from LOOP 3(GCX) going into the G Major 2 hoping that this will allow reverb and delay trails to continue after switching presets on the ground control. Will this setup do that?
What you are trying to accomplish is only possible on a parallel effects loop whereas the MkV has a series effects loop. Hooking it up the way you have it in the diagram will kill your entire signal once you bypass loop 3 on the GCX. If you plan to run the G-Major in one of the GCX loops you MUST return it back to its GCX loop to prevent this from happening.
Yomko wrote: Final question for now that I am curious about: Is it nessecary to have patch cables connecting all the unused Send & Returns on the GCX like I think I have seen in some pictures?
No...you just simply patch the "Out" of the last used GCX loop into the amp.

Another little tip I'll throw out is that the Volume pedal would be best suited between the Noise Gate and your G-Major. This way it controls the actual volume of your preamp tone rather than altering the front end drive signal level, which will change your preamp tone, unless it is that that you're trying to accomplish.
Jon Wilder
Voodoo Lab
Tech Support