Power for 18v, 9v, and 12v AC

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
darthpolski

Power for 18v, 9v, and 12v AC

Post by darthpolski »

I'm new to the forum and very new to using effects pedals with my 57 Strat RI, Gretsch 6120, and Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb. I'm looking to build a board and want to find one power supply to run a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet @ 18v, a Trex Replica @ 12v AC, and several other standard 9v pedals. Can anyone tell me if there is a power source that handles this well?

Thanks for the patience with a Rookie.

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Re: Power for 18v, 9v, and 12v AC

Post by Josh Fiden »

darthpolski wrote:I'm new to the forum and very new to using effects pedals with my 57 Strat RI, Gretsch 6120, and Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb. I'm looking to build a board and want to find one power supply to run a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet @ 18v, a Trex Replica @ 12v AC, and several other standard 9v pedals. Can anyone tell me if there is a power source that handles this well?

The Pedal Power 2+ will power these easily. Because every output is isolated, you can use a Y cable which combines 2 of the 9V outputs in series to provide 18V. Also, the Replica requires 12VDC@110mA, not AC. That leaves 5 standard 9V outputs for additional pedals.

Thanks!
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

Trueman

Post by Trueman »

Josh Fiden wrote:
darthpolski wrote:I'm new to the forum and very new to using effects pedals with my 57 Strat RI, Gretsch 6120, and Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb. I'm looking to build a board and want to find one power supply to run a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet @ 18v, a Trex Replica @ 12v AC, and several other standard 9v pedals. Can anyone tell me if there is a power source that handles this well?

The Pedal Power 2+ will power these easily. Because every output is isolated, you can use a Y cable which combines 2 of the 9V outputs in series to provide 18V. Also, the Replica requires 12VDC@110mA, not AC. That leaves 5 standard 9V outputs for additional pedals.

Thanks!
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO
Hi Josh,
The Replica manual says and well known in T-Rex circles that it will take either DC or AC - thats problaby where the confusion is. Go the DC route anyday I say!
Connoisseur of good tone.

http://www.john-trueman.com : Guitarist from Down Under
http://www.guitarpedals.co.nz

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Post by Josh Fiden »

Trueman wrote: Hi Josh,
The Replica manual says and well known in T-Rex circles that it will take either DC or AC - thats problaby where the confusion is. Go the DC route anyday I say!
Thanks for the info, that's good to know!

wharris

Post by wharris »

I am also new to this forum and the concept of power supplies. How will the PP2+ work with my T-Rex Viper pedal if there is no 12V output on it? :?:

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Post by Josh Fiden »

wharris wrote:I am also new to this forum and the concept of power supplies. How will the PP2+ work with my T-Rex Viper pedal if there is no 12V output on it? :?:
Take a look at the Pedal Power 2+ specifications on our product page:

http://voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm

All outputs are normally 9VDC. However, there is a set of DIP switches on the bottom which select an alternate function for each output. 1-4 are 12V but not enough current for the Viper. The Viper requires 12V at 162mA. That is approximately what you will get from outputs 5 or 6 with the switch away from normal. That will probably work fine.

I haven't tried this and we get very few inquiries about this pedal. Please post your results.

Thanks,
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO