GCP V2 Beta EEprom

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
bettsaj

GCP V2 Beta EEprom

Post by bettsaj »

One for John Clark.

I've just received the new beta EEProm chip, thank you :D

Before I change it, will i lose any presets, etc. Also will the GCP still have the same functionality, and have you got any info regarding using the new pre-set and instant access mode for 2 GCP's.
"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

David Gilmour

Marlboro05

Re: GCP V2 Beta EEprom

Post by Marlboro05 »

Hi there,
I have 2 GCP's and have set one to master and one to slave. I copied the settings from the master to the slave then just changed the Instant Access on the slave to do different actions. So the 4 Preset buttons are the same and all the instant access buttons are different. The banks are the same so when i choose one on the master it shows up on the slave, when i choose one on the slave it doesn't change on the master.
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 »

Didn't realize that there was a "new firmware" out. Will have to get it.
And some other stuff.

bettsaj

Post by bettsaj »

It's not official yet.... It's in Beta testing. The below is from John Clark
There is a v2 Beta firmware of the Ground Control Pro that will allow for using two Ground Control Pro units together with one being set to 10 Presets per Bank and the other one set to a new Instant Access mode where there are two Banks of 12 Instant Access buttons. Contact us at info@voodoolab.com to get the firmware updates. So far we have been giving them away since they are Beta and have limited support. (I'm probably the only one in the Lab that knows how it works ;) )

Because the Ground Control Pro has both a MIDI In and MIDI Out, changes made on the Preset unit will trigger the appropriate LEDs on the Instant Access unit ...and there is no Merger required ;)
"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

David Gilmour

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 »

Hi there,
As soon as I saw that i msgd them ;)
And some other stuff.

mebogdan

Post by mebogdan »

bettsaj

I'm am currently running 2 GCP with V2 and 3 GCX.

Yes when you change out your current chip for the new V2 you will loose your presets.

You should do a bulk dump memory backup before you install V2 in case you want to go back and use your current chip.

You will need to re - program your GCP once you upgrade as V2 is not compatible with older versions.

V2 has all the basic function of 1.13 with some great new options.

Setup is simple having used a current GCP then you will be able to figure out V2.

Just explore a bit.

As for running 2 GCP the options are many.

I run one GCP 12 IA ( 2 banks of 12 for total of 24 IA ) and one GCP in 10 preset mode as this allows to step through presets.

GCP 1 (as 4 or 10 preset Mode) Midi out to GCP 2 (as 12 IA Mode) Midi In
GCP 2 (as 12 IA Mode) Midi out to GCX Pedal In.

This will show active IA loops on GCP 2 that were made active by the presets on GCP 1

I use them side by side in this setup, of course you can still set up master / slave to allow for two stage location or as Marlboro05 pointed out in 4 preset mode for a total of 16 IA between the two and mirror the presets.

Good luck

Matt

bettsaj

Post by bettsaj »

Great! Fortunately I haven't really programmed my GCP yet as i'm still building the rack so now is as good a time as any to change the chip before I start committing preset programs etc

I hope to procure a 2nd GCP in the very near future so will look forward to using it in the new IA mode.

David Gilmour

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 »

I have the beta firmware on the way, can't wait for this swing to finish so that I can get these new chips in and start playing around with the new setup.
And some other stuff.

andefeldt

Post by andefeldt »

This sounds like a great feature, especially if Voodoo Lab puts out an extension to the GCP with maybe 3 or 6 switches so you don't have to have 2 GCPs on your pedalboard.

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 »

Hi all,
Have just fit the beta chips to both GCPro's. I've played around a bit and have found out a couple of things.
1. All devices and presets stay after chip replacement, but the names are a bit stuffed up - I did a reset anyway to start from scratch.
2. The GCPro set as IA Mode has to be second in line, it won't send through the GCPro set as the program changer.

It's good to have this new firmware with one set as IA and one set to 10 programs, shall play for a bit now and get used to it. I have been so used to having both in 4 preset mode, for the last couple of years, with different IA settings, my feet just seem to go there automatically.

Ah well, time to play and have some fun.
And some other stuff.