Use Exp Jacks as extra IA Switches?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Paul A

Use Exp Jacks as extra IA Switches?

Post by Paul A »

Josh

Since my success with the Damage Control Tap tempo problem, I have a different problem. I am running short on IA switches on my GCP.

Would it be possible to gain 2 extra IA switches by using the Pedal jack sockets wired to a switch? I appreciate that the on/off status of such a switch would not be saved within a GCP preset.

Paul A

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Re: Use Exp Jacks as extra IA Switches?

Post by Josh Fiden »

Very good question! Yes, you can. However, you have to be a little careful since those inputs were intended to have a potentiometer on them, not a switch. There is no debouncing (switch contacts normally do not make and break cleanly) and it is possible to see values besides just 0 and 127. Many people have successfully done this, you just can't control everything this way.

Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

jmcthe3rd

Post by jmcthe3rd »

Josh,
I have the older style Ground Control. I would like the ability to use the EXP Pedal jack as an instant access to turn off and on loop 1. I thought this would be possible as I setup the Ground Control to send on midi channel 16. When I'm setting up the preset I have the device set to the device using channel 16 then 80. I then setup pedal one to CTL 080. I have confirmed that the switch toggles the CC messages from 0 to 127 but, nothing seems to happen. Loop 1 never activates or de-activates. I setup the Ground Control using the Bank 4 option as a work around but, I'd really like to be able to have access to 10 presets then turn on loop 1 when needed. (I have just an affects pedal in loop 1) Thanks for the help!!

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Post by Josh Fiden »

jmcthe3rd wrote:Josh,
I have the older style Ground Control. I would like the ability to use the EXP Pedal jack as an instant access to turn off and on loop 1. I thought this would be possible as I setup the Ground Control to send on midi channel 16. When I'm setting up the preset I have the device set to the device using channel 16 then 80. I then setup pedal one to CTL 080. I have confirmed that the switch toggles the CC messages from 0 to 127 but, nothing seems to happen. Loop 1 never activates or de-activates. I setup the Ground Control using the Bank 4 option as a work around but, I'd really like to be able to have access to 10 presets then turn on loop 1 when needed. (I have just an affects pedal in loop 1) Thanks for the help!!
That doesn't work. When you assign another device to MIDI channel 16, Ground Control will move the GCX to a different channel to avoid conflict. If you need 8 instant access, you need to either upgrade to a Ground Control Pro or find a used Ground Link.

Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO